MoCU CURATES FIVE OF THE BEST WINE BARS IN BRISBANE
Do a little bit of investigating and it quickly becomes apparent that Brisbane is a city that loves its wine. And not just any old wine, but rather superbly crafted drops from the world’s great wine producing regions. So in a city that is spoilt for choice, the biggest conundrum is simply where to begin. So we’re sharing five of the best wines bars in Brisbane this month to get you started on a journey of exploration and discovery.
One of Brisbane’s best kept secrets, this intimate wine bar and cellar in the CBD is just what the doctor ordered. Leave the stresses of modern life behind and settle in for a soothing glass of wine, served by a professional and knowledgeable wine therapist.
- The extensive wine list features iconic Australian wines, impossible to find vintages, small batch boutique gems and carefully selected imports from the world’s classic wine regions
- Indulge in artisan cheese and charcuterie boards to enjoy with your selected wine
- You’ll feel like you’re in a private club with vintage chesterfields, port barrels and a stunning wine library lining one side of the bar
- Your therapy includes a soundtrack that features jazz, blues, old school soul, funk and R&B
As the Grape Therapy team say on their website, “Connoisseur or not, everyone love a bit of wine therapy.” We’ll raise an exceptional glass of wine to that!
Image source @Grape Therapy
153 Wickham St, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, QLD, 4006
(07) 3177 4359
Tuesday – Wednesday, and Saturday, 4pm – late
Friday, 2pm – late
Located in a heritage-listed building and incorporating a wine bar, restaurant, wine shop and gorgeous underground cellar with wall-to-wall wine, 1889 Enoteca offers an authentic Italian experience.
- The 27 page wine list showcases unique, artisan producers. There is a particular focus on natural wines, with grapes grown organically or biodynamically
- Enjoy complimentary antipasti from 4.30pm – 6pm every Friday afternoon as you sip a glass of prosecco
- Take part in regular tastings and wine dinners to learn more about the incredible array of wines on offer
- The menu features modern Roman cuisine, which is designed to be enjoyed with the wines found on their extensive wine list
Factor in the knowledgeable and passionate staff who are on hand to make recommendations from the menu, and 1889 Enoteca feels like a little getaway to Italy without the travel time and jetlag.
Image source @ 1889 Enoteca
The Moreton Rubber Building, 10 - 12 Logan Rd, Woolloongabba, Qld 4101
(07) 3392 4315
Tuesday – Saturday, 6pm – late
Sunday – Monday, closed
Venture into the beating heart of the CBD and be rewarded with a visit to COPPA Spuntino, an Italian wine and snack bar. Spuntino means snack in Italian, and here the snacks are delicious rustic Italian food, paired with Italian wines and Australian-Italian varietals.
- The well-constructed drinks list also features Italian cocktails, Italian beer and aperitivi like Aperol, Campari and Strega
- Explore the off-list of drinks available by request that features unique and rare bottles of wine
- Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, in addition to the spuntinos (small plates) the menu also offers mouthwatering woodfired pizzetas, pastas and mains
- Grab a perch at the bar, a table inside, or drink and dine al fresco in the smartly designed space
It’s no secret that the Italians know a thing or two about eating and drinking well and COPPA Spuntino effortlessly taps into this spirit. Phone a friend and get a date into the calendar sooner rather than later.
Image source @COPPA Spuntino
Shop 4, 88 Creek Street, Brisbane, QLD, 4000
(07) 3221 3548
Monday – Friday, 7am till late
Claret House Wine Bar
Tucked away in the heritage Woolstores of Teneriffe you will find a temple to wine, cheese and cured meats. Housed in a stylish and cosy space, it features exposed brick walls, old arched windows and a raw wooden ceiling. The bottle-lined shelves tantalise with the fine flavours yet to be sipped and savoured.
- The constantly changing selection of European and Antipodean wines are categorised by style, price and vintage for easier perusing
- Every wine on the list is individually researched, tasted and selected so you can be assured of quality
- Salivate over the weekly rotation of cured meats and see if you can stop at just two or three cheeses
- Staff will help pair the perfect drop with your charcuterie selection to enhance your culinary experience
Claret House Wine Bar is deservedly a firm favourite with the locals and after one visit you’ll soon discover what all the fuss is about.
Image source @ Claret House
Shop 5, London Woolstores, 36 Vernon Terrace, Teneriffe, QLD, 4006
(07) 3257 0402
Tuesday to Friday – 4pm to 12am
Saturday – 12pm to 12am
Sundays and Public Holidays – 12pm to 10pm
Cru Bar + Cellar
In a venue that offers more than 650 wines, with a cellar boasting more than 4000 bottles from around the globe, it’s clear that Cru Bar + Cellar takes its wine very seriously. That’s excellent news for the serious wine lovers among us or anybody, for that matter, who just enjoys a fantastic glass of wine.
- Settle into the sophisticated space framed by expansive bay windows and contemplate the passing parade with each exquisite sip
- A moreish menu is a simple offering of well-executed favourites, including a cheese selection that will go wonderfully well with your chosen drop
- More than 60 of Cru’s finest drops are offered by the glass giving you the perfect excuse to spoil yourself
- Staff are warm and welcoming and extremely knowledgeable, which you’ll appreciate as you try to narrow down your drinking choices from an otherwise overwhelming list
A relaxing respite from the frenetic energy that can be found in Fortitude Valley on a busy night, Cru Bar + Cellar is a haven that rewards repeat visits.
Image source @ Cru Bar
22 James St, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, QLD, 4006
(07) 3252 1744
Monday – Sunday, 9am – 7pm
While these are all first rate choices for a night out sipping a glass of wine, it’s always good idea to have some top drops on hand at home, and this is where MoCU can help. Curating a selection of expertly crafted wines, as well as beers and ciders, MoCU delivers straight to your door. Many of the products featured on MoCU cannot be found anywhere else. Plus, you’ll enjoy free delivery to metro areas on orders over $50*.